Public Talks and Events
Public talks, events, and unique experiences are one way to bridge the gaps between science and society. As a scientist, I want to take on a guiding role and allow deep insights into cutting-edge research. I want everyone to understand, feel, and experience the wonders of science and also the complexity of science, which plays an important role in all our daily lives. For this to happen, I strongly believe in mutual trust and unique connections.
- 29/10/2022 — "Multiplikator:innen des Wandels -- gemeinsam die Zukunft gestalten", Tagung der Vereinigung der Sternfreunde e.V.
- 24/09/2022 — "Die
Register des Universums" - bridging arts and sciences with powerful soundtracks
from outer space played on an organ at the Matthäus Church in
Erlangen, Germany, combined with illumination arts and scientific pitch talks
by the Astronomers 4 Planet Earth.
Link zum Teaser Video [2:03min]
Link zum Trailer Video mit Interviews von uns und von Besucher*innen [4:04 min]
For more information, see our Interview for the Magazine "Sonntagsblatt".
- 04/2021 — Virtual Talk via the "Haus der Astronomie" on "Vergänglichkeit im Universum - Nachhaltigkeit auf der Erde"
- 01/2021 — Virtual Colloquium Talk at the Chalmers University of Technology, representing the organization Astronomers for Planet Earth
- Since 09/2020 — Numerous Planetarium Shows and Public Talks at the ESO Supernova Planetarium & Visitor Center
- 02/2019 — Lecture on the evolution of stars and their remnants as part of the "Big History" lecture series, Univ. of Amsterdam
- 11/2018 — Space-Talk event "Space Sarau – Encounter between Art, Music and Astrophysics", Amsterdam: "An illustrated history of the Universe"
- 10/2018 — Talk at the public "Astroseminar", University of Münster, Germany: "Vom (un/be) greifbaren Universum und unserer (un?)fassbaren Zukunft"
- 07/2012 — Talk at "Wissenschaft macht Schule", Marie-Therese Gymnasium Erlangen, Germany: "Radiointerferometrie - der Zugang zu den Tiefen des Universums"
- 07/2010 — Talk at "Wissenschaft macht Schule", Marie-Therese Gymnasium Erlangen, Germany: "Aktive Galaxienkerne"
- 09/2022 — Interview for the "Sonntagsblatt" on our audiovisual event "Die Register des Universums" and the question whether astrophysics can fit into a church.
- 04/2022 — Article for the Urban AI Medium.com channel on "The urban morphology on our planet - Global perspectives from space"
- 04/2020 — Interview on Climate Change and global crises as part of the Astronomers for Planet Earth for Astronomy on Tap Budapest
- since 03/2020 — Educational Videos on Astronomy for the ESO Supernova Planetarium & Visitor Center
- 12/2019 — Popular science article titled "Tuning in to the powerful exhaust of active galaxies" for the Campus Magazine "Amsterdam Science", University of Amsterdam
- since 2018 — Public blogposts highlighting the work of our research group, e.g., "Science Communication – indispensable in modern society", highlighting how effective Science Communication can counteract the spread of misinformation and loss of the big picture in publically available information.
- 02/2018 — Titleillustration for the Journal Astronomy & Astrophysics, Volume 610
- 11/2017 — Interview with meineFAU
- 06/2017 — ZDFinfo (online portal of the public German TV station ZDF)
- 12/2016 — Entertaining science experiment on-stage ("how to build a realistic comet", starting at 37:17) as part of the Dr. Remeis Observatorys Christmas Lecture (FAU Erlangen)
- 06/2016 — Science Slam recording, IdeenExpo, Hannover
- Promotion Video: IdeenExpo - Science Slam (06/2016)
- 03/2016 — Science Slam recording, Luminale, Frankfurt
- 01/2016 — BRalpha Campus SLAM (public German TV station BR)
Accelerated developments in fundamental research require elaborate science-communication techniques. “Science-Slams” are highly effective. The basic aim is to make research approachable and relatable. This approach should remove barriers between science and society, facilitate trust in science, and foster interdisciplinary research. Science-Slams also help us scientists to improve our skills to pitch our work.
- 06/04/2020 (canceled due to COVID-19) — SO36, Berlin
- 27/10/2016 — E-Werk, Erlangen
- 26/10/2016 — jDPG slam, Physikalisches Institut Univ. Würzburg
- 16/06/2016 — Ideen Expo, Hannover | Youtube Link
- 12/03/2016 — Luminale, Frankfurt | Youtube Link
- 19/11/2016 — Archenhold Sternwarte, Berlin
- 26/01/2016 — Kammerspiele, München
- 03/11/2015 — Jagdhofkeller, Darmstadt
- 24/10/2015 — E-Werk, Erlangen (Lange Nacht der Wissenschaften)
- 24/10/2015 — Opening of the "Lange Nacht der Wissenschaften", Fraunhofer Institut IIS, Erlangen
- 21/10/2015 — Science Slam: German Semi-Finals, E-Werk, Erlangen
- 14/07/2015 — E-Werk, Erlangen
- 09/07/2015 — Museum für Kommunikation, Nürnberg
My intrinsic motivation behind dedicated outreach projects is participation. Science needs to be relatable and experienceable in order to build sustainable bridges between science and society and in order to foster trust in science.
- 11/2022 — Design of an interactive museum exhibit to be on display at the Deutsche Museum and at BIOTOPIA Lab in fall, 2022. The exhibit will allow visitors to explore Earth Observation data through a microscope as interface. Funded by the Munich Science Communication Lab. In collaboration with the information designer Annok, the Communication Designer Michiinjapan, and Computer Scientists at the Department for Data Science in Earth Observation of the Technical University of Munich.
- 04/2020 — Support of the final assignment of Pierre Rottmair, student of communication design, with an interview. What is the future of humankind when facing the long-term effects of climate change? Can space exploration provide a plan B? After consulting with colleagues from the space exploration department at ESA, I provided answers to these and many more (scientific) questions, also providing my personal take as astronomer. His final work, the illustrated information magazine titled "Millionen Lichtjahre von Wiesbaden entfernt", contains an exciting balance between hard facts and science fiction, as well as our interview.
- 2014-2017 — Master Classes in Astroparticle Physics: Fundamentals of Astroparticle Physics, live experiment with a nebular chamber, extraction of real data taken with the Pierre-Auger Observatory
- 10/2017 — Feeding the Instagram Channel of the Univ. of Erlangen-Nürnberg (#FAUtakeover) with impressions from our daily work at the astronomical institute (Dr. Remeis Observatory)
- 06/2017 — Project with the faculty for design (Univ. of Würzburg): design of astrophysical outreach material
- 02/2016 — Project interfacing sciences and arts with the school of design (Munich, Germany): design of outreach material on orders of magnitudes in the Universe and on Earth; free art- and photographic works on the basis of scientific information provided in an informal Q/A session.